Paul's been working on the folly on and off all week since the window arrived.
This was on the 8th august. Then we spent a good week deciding which window we wanted to put in! Finally, after a week I went to order it, from Redwood Stone, and found just what I really wanted for sale in their graveyard page, a broken version! We had to wait a day to see if we could get the one, we preferred and then got the email to say it was ours, so payment sent and then the wait of four days for it to arrive.
So, Paul started fitting it.
The 'broken' section of window.
Of course, Paul landed up with several other places he needed to be over the week along with us finally getting a decent day of steady rain, which the garden was desperate for.
a few more rows each side.
It's good to have someone else's input when doing these finishing touches.
But gradually, over this week, working a few rows each side every day before going off to his other commitments, the wall's gone up.
Each day we discussed how to get the top as we wanted it. The thing with building a folly is you need to remember it's supposed to be a ruin! So, it doesn't need to be perfect! or have perfect bricks, so this time Paul bashed the ends of the bricks to make them look damaged, like they would be on a ruin.
Which also made me notice that we had nice clean stepping bricks on the right-hand side wall, so Paul added a few damaged bricks to that side to remove the tidiness!
So, this is it! Just waiting for the upper bricks to dry.
Rufus in the shoot!
So just a few finishing touches and it's finally done!
Niamh through the new window
another closer view
with the tree framing the righthand side.