So FINALLY We were able to tackle the workshop roof ! Well I say we but really Paul did all the work, I was just the assistant, there to help carry sheets of OSB boarding from the Carport by the house, where Paul cut them to size across the garden to the Workshop.
I was also on hand to remove all the old felt that he threw down to the Patio by the house and help take off the heavy wet old boards and carry them to a pile.
Plus to make sure he did not fall off the roof and have to become a statistic of DIY down in casualty !
The start Paul on roof taking off old felt and damp boards.
We started at about 9.30 am, slowly the roof on one side was removed. If you look between the rafters you can see the dividing wall Paul built to give me an area of the workshop for my studio.
Paul hard at work, you can see how wet the boards are as it rained overnight.
At least the sun was out so could start to help dry out the damp rafters as they appeared.
Here you can see the first new board in position.
The sun shine through the open part of the roof. While I was not needed I went round the garden taking a few photo's keeping Paul within hearing in case he needed my assistance.
This pot of Agapanthus needs re potting as it's broken the pot it's in.
I opened the greenhouse to get some air while it was so lovely outside.
We had replaced one side of the roof with new boarding and this is the other side starting to have the old wood removed.
Alfred's looking forward to not having to live in all the damp it's not good for his Chainmail !
By 2.30pm the new boards were all on, we'd stopped just twice for about ten minutes the first time and fifteen the second for lunch.
I got Paul to take a few photo's of the view from the workshop roof.
The gardens drop away down the hill, yes that is me in my sun hat ! due to how hot it was getting.
You can see the Village recreation ground over to the left .
Soon we had one side of the roof re-felted and I cut the edge down to fit , while Paul started re doing the other side.
Finally both side were done!! This end you can see where the sheeting we covered the roof in for the Winter to try and protect it until spring has rubbed away the green stain on the side of the building, so that's another job that will need doing.
A view of the new roof ! The felt is guaranteed for fifteen years, Paul's informed me , he will never be replacing this roof again! Since he would be in his late seventies in fifteen years I agreed!!
another look just because it deserves to be seen due to all the hard work Paul did to get to this stage!
A view of the side of workshop from the formal box garden.
LOOK DRY BOARDS!!!
The other end of building.
Some of the old boards that now need to be taken to the recycling centre.
More boarding and felt that needs to be removed to recycling.
Because the sun shone and the weather was warm and dry the Magnolia opened up more,
by late afternoon.
I love these blooms.
Well finally at just before six pm the Workshop had a new roof and was finally after goodness knows how many months ! Dry!
I have to praise Paul who worked all day to get it water tight before nightfall. He would not let me get on the roof to help him, probably thought two peoples weight would finish the roof off!! So all I could do was help where I could and keep his spirits up when he started to get tired near the end.
It still needs to be finished off, wooden battens across the roof and all around the edges to help keep the felt secure plus the guttering needs to be put back but that can be done over the next couple of evenings while the weather holds. At least it will now be usable for the next fifteen years or so.
So once it's all finished and all the rubbish disposed of , we can sort out the inside but that's another big job!!